The format for the well-attended event was an interview by Dean Trevor Morrison followed by questions from the audience. Dean Morrison asked a series of questions concerning statutory interpretation — questions ranging from the importance of presidential signing statements to discerning congressional intent of omnibus legislation covering a vast array of topics sans much, if any, legislative record.
Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor was among those attending the event at which the Chief Judge autographed books.
→ Chief Judge Katzmann was also recently interviewed by Brian Lamb on C-SPAN.
→ On Tuesday September 23rd, the Chief Judge will speak at Georgetown Law School. Here is the schedule for that upcoming event:
4:30 – 5:00 p.m. Conversation
- William M. Treanor, Dean, Georgetown University Law Center
- Robert A. Katzmann, Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
5:00 – 5:30 p.m. Panel Discussion
- M. Douglass Bellis, Senior Counsel, Office of the Legislative Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives
- Adam Liptak, Supreme Court Correspondent, The New York Times
- David Vladeck, Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
- David S. Mao, Law Librarian of Congress
→ See also Jeffrey Toobin, “Will Textualism Kill Obamacare?,” The New Yorker, Sept. 3, 2014.