Dan Markel, My Friend

Dave Hoffman

1. Orin Kerr says:

Beautifully put, Dave. This captures the essence of Dan Markel better than anything else I have read or tried to write myself.

2. Meredith R. Miller says:

Dave, beautifully expressed.

My heartfelt condolences to Dan’s friends and family.

3. Ned Stuckey-French says:

A love remembrance. Thank you. Dan was so kind and bright, full of good conversation and curiosity. I met him when we went through new faculty orientation together at FSU. We talked regularly, if intermittently, over the years at faculty receptions, Harvard Club gatherings, or when running into each other at a coffee shop. This is a terrible, tragic, and mysterious loss.

4. KDK says:

Beautifully done! Thank you for sharing this.

5. Francine J. Lipman says:

This is a beautiful and heartfelt tribute. Alav ha-shalom Dan Markel. May his memory be a blessing to you and his countless friends and his deeply beloved family.

6. Jason Solomon says:

Well said, Dave. Thank you.

7. Matt says:

Very nicely said, Dave, and very fitting. Thanks for posting it.

8. Excellent post, Dave. “He was wide open” says just what I have been feeling, better than I could have. I’m angry, too.

9. Paul Secunda says:

Thank you, David, for writing this eloquent tribute to Dan. You also well capture my anger at the way he was taken from us, the immense tragedy that has befallen his children and family, and the fact that the law professor world will never be quite the same (especially among our generation) without Dan filling the unique role that he did at so many conferences and online at Prawfs in forging connections between so many disparate people. Baruch Dayan Emet.