What are your killer apps for scholarship?

1. Patrick Luff says:

I’ll second iAnnotate (syncing with another must-have service, Dropbox).

2. I’m feeling rather old and cranky after this post: I love paper (I take notes on canary colored, college-rule pads), real books, etc. and while I have a computer (how could I not, as my father spent most of his adult life working for IBM and once I started teaching in my mid-forties, it became a necessity), I don’t own or use any other high-tech gadget whatsoever (including a cell phone…does a color TV count?…we still don’t know how to use most of the buttons on the remote control). I like, nevertheless, learning a bit how the young technophile folks live and work these days.

3. I’ve started using EndNote, and the shared folders in the web version have worked well for me working with my RAs (though you can’t share attachments, which is irritating).

I also use Toodledo, which is a to-do list (and has mac and android front-ends). It’s great for deadlines, but you can also create subtasks, so every paper has a series of tasks associated with it. This is really helpful for my bigger projects and empirical type work, where I need to stage data gathering and manage a lot of moving pieces.

4. David Zaring says:

Dropbox for sure. Westlaw Next is honestly pretty good for cites, if that is what you’re looking for from Evernote. And I like the dictation services (my phone, SpeakWrite) for notes. Feedly for the blogs.

5. P.S. in the old days, I used Grandview – all the way through law school, even. It was a dos program for outlining, and I have never found one that compares. Ever. We’ll see if Scrivner does the trick.

6. Miriam Cherry says:

Experimenting with Mendeley for cites…

7. jason says:

OmniOutliner, for macs only, but is a great outlining tool. Started with it in law school, and it became by main program for notes, drafts, and collecting and organizing statutes and case law research.

8. I have used Dropbox and Evernote.. But I would prefer Dropbox.. Very user-friendly. And yes, for project management I would suggest “Trello”..it’s a simple drag-and-drop management software.

9. Bruce Boyden says:

Paul, you dump a document into Scrivener — and then what? How do you chop it up, into paragraphs, sentences? I’m trying to figure out the best way to use the notecards, so far I use them like research 3×5 cards but it’s hard to get stuff written on the visible part in the corkboard view.

10. Paul Gowder says:

Oh, yeah, the corkboard view is pretty useless. I usually work in the “scrivenings” view, which just presents the document in chunks.

My usual workflow is:
    1. import doc file.
    2. go through doc file in “scrivenings” view, splitting up into subdocuments at logical breaks in the original prose. (easiest way: place the cursor into the document at said logical break, hit command+k)
    3. rename all the subdocuments in the “binder” pane to indicate what they are
    4. shuffle them around into a sensible order, also in the “binder” pane
    5. impose outline structure on it, again, in the “binder” pane by creating new documents with hierarchical outline levels, and putting subdocuments at their appropriate point within them.

the point being that then I can easily see which parts of the argument are missing, which are in the wrong place, etc.

11. Bruce Boyden says:

Thanks Paul, I’ll give that a try. Still looking for an electronic replacement for 3×5 notecards…

12. Scrivner’s lack of footnote formatting and cross-referencing made it a non-starter for me, unfortunately.

13. Tanya Marsh says:

Zotero has been great for gathering and organizing sources. It can even export footnotes in pretty good Bluebook form. Plus, it’s free.

14. Emily Brent says:

Bruce,
    Take a look at “Ideamason”, which has a good notecard-like system and stores the citation. It also has an outliner to help sort the bits into a useful structure.