James Wilson

Gerard Magliocca

Gerard N. Magliocca is the Samuel R. Rosen Professor at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. Professor Magliocca is the author of three books and over twenty articles on constitutional law and intellectual property. He received his undergraduate degree from Stanford, his law degree from Yale, and joined the faculty after two years as an attorney at Covington and Burling and one year as a law clerk for Judge Guido Calabresi on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Professor Magliocca has received the Best New Professor Award and the Black Cane (Most Outstanding Professor) from the student body, and in 2008 held the Fulbright-Dow Distinguished Research Chair of the Roosevelt Study Center in Middelburg, The Netherlands. He was elected to the American Law Institute (ALI) in 2013.

1. Joe says:

Looked at “Courtwatchers: Eyewitness Accounts in Supreme Court History” recently and Wilson was discussed, including how he courted a young woman while riding circuit.

A lot of stuff both personal and legal to mine there.

2. wb says:

Dorsen’s Judge Friendly biography is excellent, but the foreword from Judge Posner explains why no. 2 is exactly right 99% of the time.

3. dave hoffman says:

I dunno. Gunther’s Learned Hand biography was incredibly interesting & in parts quite moving. Probably because he was interesting as a person – not exactly for what he did, but how he thought about the world.

4. Gerard Magliocca says:

I agree that the Learned Hand book is the best judicial biography, but it took Gunther decades to write. I’m not sure that was the best use of his time.

5. Carlton Larson says:

I’ve thought about doing this too. One major problem is that almost all of Wilson’s papers have been lost because of the chaotic circumstances of his final years. The Smith biography from the 50s is highly unreliable in the areas with which I am most familiar. Bill Ewald at Penn has done some very good papers on Wilson and is working on a biography.

6. Joe says:

The book “Seriatim: The Supreme Court Before John Marshall” has a chapter on him as well with numerous helpful notes.

7. Spencer Waller says:

#4 was most important to me when I started my biography of Thurman Arnold and why I haven’t tackled another similar project since. Interesting is probably even more important than important for this purpose.

8. Chris Robinette says:

John Witt covered Wilson in the first section of Patriots and Cosmopolitans (HUP 2007).