The 100th Anniversary of the Titanic
1. Oceanic Steam Nav. Co. v. Mellor, 233 U.S. 718 (1914). The Supreme Court, in an opinion by Justice Holmes, held that Limitation of Liability Act applied to tort claims brought in the United States against the vessel’s owner.
2. R.M.S. Titanic, Inc. v. Abandoned and Wrecked Vessel, 435 F.3d 521 (4th Cir. 2006). This opinion rejected the application of the law of finds to objects recovered from the site.
3. R.M.S. Titanic, Inc. v. Abandoned and Wrecked Vessel, 286 F.3d 194 (4th Cir. 2002).This opinion addressed the salvor’s attempt to sell certain artifacts from the site.
4. R.M.S. Titanic, Inc. v. Haver, 171 F.3d 943 (4th Cir. 1999). This opinion examined the salvor’s effort to claim exclusive rights to the site.
5. Marex Titanic, Inc. v. The Wrecked and Abandoned Vessel, 2 F.3d 544 (4th Cir. 1993). This one resolved a dispute between rival salvors.