Diversity Day!

1. Miriam Cherry says:

Your first blog post was one of the best blog posts I’ve read in a long time. Very thought-provoking.

2. JoeJP says:

When I think “diversity,” I sometimes think of the NYC subway during rush hour. You have various races, creeds, classes etc. there. Race is but part of this whole dynamic and though it might stand out among the crowd, other matters of sex, sexual orientation, class etc. matter too. A true diverse education community has that and repeatedly does.

3. Brett Bellmore says:

Let’s face it, diversity isn’t about “diversity”; It is, and from the start was, a way to get out from under O’Connor’s 25 year deadline, by cutting racially discriminatory programs loose from their reliance on compensatory justice as a justification. Replacing it with an excuse to maintain a system of racial quotas which could never expire, because meeting the quota, (Achieving “diversity”) was it’s own justification.

It was a scam from the start.

4. JoeJP says:

Diversity didn’t suddenly become important a decade ago, so that doesn’t really work Brett.

Diversity was promoted in various contexts for quite some time. For instance, regional diversity was a concern for George Washington when he picked his Supreme Court And, some promoted a national university early in our history to bring together the regions. Various churches promote diversity and have for years too. Many clubs do. For years. etc.

Reagan, of course, selected O’Connor in part to promote diversity on the Court. He specifically said he would pick a woman. 25 years before her opinion there.

5. Ron Miller says:

I don’t know what it all means. But I think celebrating diversity is a good thing, regardless of the nuances of what that actually means. Because, generally, it mean accepting everyone regardless of race, religion, etc. This is a good thing no matter how you slice it.

6. Ken Rhodes says:

I have mixed feelings on the conflicting objectives of “opportunity for the most qualified” vs. “positive action to increase opportunities for those who are systematically disadvantaged.” Life is complicated, and neither the left nor the libertarians can convince me the other are wrong.

But I LOVE the choice your daughter made.

7. Ken Rhodes says:

@Ron: I should hope we all would celebrate diversity. A separate, and very complex issue, is whether we should actively promote it at the potential cost of opportunity for the most qualified.

My fiercely libertarian friends celebrated just as loudly as I when Jeremy Lin burst on the scene a couple of months ago. And they delighted in pointing out that his admission to Harvard was not an affirmative action, but simply an example of the cream rising to the top.

8. Ken Arromdee says:

If her daughter wears a pink triangle, wouldn’t that fall under “This is NOT a day to try to be someone else”, unless she is actually gay?

9. JoeJP says:

“his admission to Harvard was not an affirmative action, but simply an example of the cream rising to the top”

I’m not sure how many know his whole life story and can be assured that some sort of extra assistance, some affirmative action, wasn’t made on his part. Cream often is missed. Luck and other factors often influence who is selected.

10. Ken Rhodes says:

@JoeJP: Unlike your average minority admission, whose background and college admission process is generally not well known, Jeremy Lin’s has become VERY public knowledge. Yes, “some sort of extra assistance” was in play, but it had NOTHING to do with affirmative action. The assistance was a basketball assistant coach who wanted him.

Harvard gives no athletic scholarships, but they recruited Lin to attend there on the basis of his basketball abilities plus his 4.2 high school academic average. Just the sorts of things one expects of “color blind” recruiting. And having nothing to do with “diversity.” Which was simply my point.

11. JoeJP says:

My point is that we don’t know everything that was involved in his education and putting aside the very public aspects, some other aspect very well might be closer to what one might deem “affirmative action,” whatever that means.