Hammontree v. Jenner: The Rest of the Story

1. Howard Wasserman says:

From a procedural standpoint, it’s interesting that the defense didn’t move for summary judgment on the strict liability theory, force the court to decide the issue, and get rid of the case before trial. That’s probably what would happen today, followed by the appeal.

2. Kyle says:

Thanks to David Holt at our library, the Hammontree MSJ has been posted at this URL:

3. Socrates Peter Manoukian says:

Dear Professor Graham: I got a chuckle out of this article. As a new jack lawyer, I knew both Messrs. Hurley and Hast. I clerked at the law firm of LaFollette, Johnson, Schroeter & DeHaas from Fall 1976-January 1978. Mr. Hast had left the firm by then and formed his own firm with Jim Sabatasse, another LaFollette alum. I worked for Early, Maslach, Leavey & Nutt from 1978-1982 and had several cases with both gentlemen. Joe Hurley, along with his then-colleagues Larry Grassini and Roland Wrinkle, were superb trial lawyers who woul not be afraid to take risks on shaky cases. Pat Hast earned the undying respect of Robert Schifferman, a very good Los Angeles trial judge. See Sanchez v. Hasencamp, 107 Cal. App. 3d 935 (footnote 1.) Thank you for this trip down memory lane.

4. Kyle says:

For any of you who teach Hammontree, through the links below you can access two photos I recently took of the Hammontrees’ storefront (I think), which is now a video store:

KFG

5. Angela Herny says:

If any of ya’ll have experance’s with the case needs to teach the kids the importance of it (I think)

6. Studying Law says:

Great post! Been reading a lot about different court cases like this. Thanks for sharing this info!