Hot Summer Flashes, Black Urban Mobs

1. Miriam A. Cherry says:

Welcome to blogging here — this is a great, very interesting first post! Consider the reverse of the flash mob; there is an organization in Sweden & Finland (Planka) that informs members of the presence of transit police. (The organization advocates for free public transit and advocates not paying fares; they have an insurance fund for their members for fines).

2. Brett Bellmore says:

“it is fair to say that flash mobs do not inspire the same googly-eyed romance they once did.”

I think it’s fair to say that a “flash mob” organized to do some kind of performance art, and an “flash mob” organized to commit theft, assault, and arson, are so fundamentally different we should find different names for them. And no sneer quotes are needed around “self defense” when such activities are involved.

3. Mondonico says:

“In this Tea Party era, such musings should not be taken lightly.”

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Are we to infer that the “Tea Party era” is an era of violence? If so, you should point out that the only violence at Tea Party events has been perpetrated by SEIU thugs.

The author might ask, but what about all the violent rhetoric? I would respond, such rhetoric is generally found on the left, and not on the fringe, but at its core. A very small sample:

“Punch back twice as hard.”– President Obama

“When they bring a knife, you bring a gun.”–President Obama

Republicans who oppose Democrat policies are “enemies.”–President Obama.

Union workers are ready to “go to war” with the tea party next year and “take out” Republicans. Teamsters President James Hoffa

The implication that “Tea Party” adherents are prone to violence — or violent rhetoric — is a baseless smear, one which undermines the credibility of the author and reveals his agenda.

4. AYY says:

This was a long post with a weak punch line. I don’t understand the point of the post.

What are “material dynamics” (is it another term for the Obama economy) and what do they have to do with how we view the threats of flash mobs? Why bring up Machine Gun Kelly–his comment was incoherent, and I doubt that many people reading this blog would seriously think that he had any insight into the flash mob phenomenon.

Who are the “hatemongers” mentioned in the post? Why the sneers at the Tea Party and Fox News? What’s the problem with more guns in the hands of law abiding people? The post is very unclear about all these.

5. Olivier Sylvain says:

Thanks, MM. Your examples are really good. I hadn’t heard of them.

BB. Fair point. For what it’s worth, observers have distinguished between what Howard Rheingold called “smart mobs” and what we are seeing in the mainstream coverage of the misanthropic version.

AYY. I’d thank you for your editorial advice if I thought you meant it as such. All I can say is that I, too, thought the post was running long. That’s why I used links. I figured that careful blog readers would use them. In any event, I think you’ll find all of the answers to your questions in them, and then some. As for “material dynamics,” I was referring to the sort of inequities addressed in the NY Times report to which I link through those very words.

6. Brett Bellmore says:

“The Florida recount of 2000 was 11 years ago. What it might have to do with flash mobs doesn’t immediately come to mind.”

A reference to the “Brooks Brothers Riot”, I suspect. Closest thing to a flash mob I can recall during that controversy.

7. AYY says:

Brent,
    Thanks, but the reference and the reason for the reference should have been made explicit in the post, not left to speculation.

Prof. Sylvain,
    Thanks for responding. I did click on the links. The authors of the NYT op ed didn’t try to defend the flash mobs.

8. Atataya says:

Thanks for passing on your knowledge and experience. I interest about menopause and how to stop period cramps. god bless to your family.