60 New Recipes for Carolene Products Co.’s Milnut from 1939

1. Shag from Brookline says:

Josh continues with this post his tandem efforts with his mentor to attack progressivism, now by using his food column to attack Footnote Four. Based upon Josh’s and some of his mentor’s recent comments, one needs a score card to identify the progressives under attack: (1) Gilded Age/Pre-New Deal Progressives, (2) New Deal Progressives, (3) post-New Deal Progressives, (4) Warren Court Progressives and currently (5) Justice Breyer. Keep in mind that in addition to Justice Breyer, the progressive side today includes three lady Justices. Perhaps the goal of the tandem is to first denigrate Justice Breyer and then the ladies. So perhaps progressives should get together with op-eds in response that might be cleverly titled: “Antonin Clarence Blackman” and “Clarence Antonin Bernstein.” I don’t think either would object to such titles.

Josh’s book project may result in constitutional heartburn, especially the Milnot. Bon appetit!

2. Josh Blackman says:

Shag,

I think you could perhaps benefit from the healing effects of a Carbolic Smoke Ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlill_v_Carbolic_Smoke_Ball_Company). If you find one, please send me a picture, so I can add it to my collection!

3. Shag from Brookline says:

My Juris Doctor scrip for what ails you would fittingly be a Lydia Pinkham product described at:

which may include some pictures for your book project.

4. Josh Blackman says:

The alternative tagline for Carbolic Smoke Ball should have been “Up your nose with a rubber hose”–way before Welcome Back Kotter.

5. Shag from Brookline says:

My archive of newspaper clippings includes an ad, with a 10 Cents off store coupon, for Bessey’s “Prune, Date and Fig Juice” headlined in bold large font:

“If this offer doesn’t move you, nothing will.”

This is in a sense “constitutional” as regards a person’s health. So, “Skoal!”

But recall Curly’s line in the “Three Stooges” episode “Oil’s Well That Ends Well”:

“We gotta blast!”

6. PJ says:

I happen to have the same recipe booklet “60 new Recipes for Milnut” but mine is in mint condition. I am trying to find the value of this booklet. Any help you could give me would be great. I understand you won this on ebay, But I have not been able to find another so that I could get a value of mine. Thank you in advance,
    Pj Swales