Two People Claiming the Presidency: Part Two

1. Michael J.Z. Mannheimer says:

Is the typo that it says “a majority vote of both Houses of Congress,” rather than “a majority vote of each House of Congress?”

2. Bruce Boyden says:

Yeah, I wondered about that too–it’s actually a two-thirds vote–but you could read it literally as meaning 2/3 of 535. My other guess was going to be the unbalanced comma before “transmits,” but frankly it helps the clarity so I wouldn’t really call it a typo.

3. Bruce Boyden says:

OK, checking the text again, it’s “transmit,” and it happens twice, so I guess that wouldn’t be one typo in any event.

4. Brian Kalt says:

I’d call the first one an ambiguity, not a typo. They meant to say that, even if they shouldn’t have.

Bruce, yeah, I think the unbalanced comma is in there as a sort of “this sentence has gone on too long without any punctuation” sort of comma.

I’ll give a clue: it is in the second clause of Section 4.

5. Marvin Schuldiner says:

My eagle eye wife tells me there is a space prior to the semi-colon after President and before otherwise in the last sentence. Does she get the 10 points?

6. Brian Kalt says:

Looking at it here — http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/25th_Amendment_Pg2of2_AC.jpg — I can’t tell if that is an extra space or not.

But that wasn’t what I was thinking of…

7. Brian Kalt says:

I’ll award her five points, though…

8. Brian Kalt says:

OK, time’s up. The typo is in Section 4. The first time it refers to the cabinet, it says “the principal officers of the executive departments.” The second time, however, it says “the principal officers of the executive department,” singular.

You can read more about it in the second half of this William Safire column.