Search Engine Trivia
Again, I’m writing about trivia while there are important things going on in the world (eg Supreme Court nominations as Gerard previously noted). However, while reading “Google Speaks“, I’ve picked up some search engine trivia that people might like to test their knowledge on. How many of the following questions can you answer?
1. Where did Google’s “PageRank” algorithm get its name?
2. Where did Google get its name from?
3. Where did Yahoo get its name from?
[answers below the fold]
1. Although many assume that PageRank refers to the rank of web pages, it is actually named after Larry Page, its designer, according to Janet Lowe, the author of “Google Speaks”.
2. The original name for Google was “googol” – the mathematical term for the number 1 followed by one hundred zeroes. Along the way, someone misspelled googol and it was replaced with the current “Google”.
3. Yahoo is an acronym for “Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle”.