“Please Trust Us”: Facebook and Control of Personal Data

1. Max Kennerly says:

I’ve been blogging on this as well (see link via my name), including whether the Terms are enforceable and if Zuckerberg’s blog post amends or modifies those Terms.

Regarding the value of the content, the issue that came to mind for me was bankruptcy: if Facebook flames out, what stops a creditor’s committee from demanding Facebook start monetizing its largest asset, i.e. unlimited licenses to an extraordinary amount of content?

Why not, say, a “25 Things” book, like PostSecret, only without the permission of anyone involved?

2. Joe says:

Sorry, this is tangential to Dan’s main point, but–question:

The terms of service look like contract language: by using our site you allow us to do certain things with the the information that’s part of your use of it. My question is, how does this operate for users? New users obviously read (or are presumed to have read) the new TOS, which I assume makes the TOS enforceable for them. Old/continuing users, however, have not been alerted to the new TOS — there’s no pop-up, no “yes” box to check — and if they haven’t seen the NY Times story or a blog posting like this one, they’re not on notice. Can Facebook change the TOS on them like that? Or can Facebook change the TOS with respect to the past information of past users who have already deleted their accounts?

3. Jess says:

Question: Are there now opt-in rules for obtaining and sharing personal information?

I don’t know anyone that actually reads the terms of agreement on sites. There was a video I watched earlier today on newsy.com that talked about this big facebook ordeal. They’ve coined it the “Facebook Face-off”

4. Jacqui L. says:

I know this is a serious issue, but I think the British comedy series, The IT Crowd, summed up these concerns nicely in a recent episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pebihz0FJA

5. Frank says:

It is simply laughable that in this day and age, some charismatic CEO actually wants the “community” to “trust” him. All this brash move indicates to me is that they really believe they’ve locked enough people in to effectively foreclose competition in this market. Once more, innovation policy needs to move beyond trying to contrive competition to figuring out the right sectoral regulation in response to aspiring monopolists who’ve accumulated what David Grewal would call Network Power.

6. clarinette says:

I would certainly trust – at least I would try – whoever collect information from me to make money – lots of money – to share with me.

I don’t think I would trust a friend who deliberately encourages me to open my hearth and divulge my personal information to be commercialized even for the good sake of selling me ‘targeted’ products. Should I?

7. clarinette says:

8. coffee says:

the fact that Facebook change their TOS back so quickly is an indication that they knew they were wrong in the first place