Rep. Nadler’s Proposal to Amend the President’s Pardon Power

1. whiskey says:

It is not that Wilson thought no president would ever issue a bad pardon. It was that he thought that no president would be able to count on doing so with impunity.

And, as experience has shown us, he thought wrong. Insofar as the Constitution’s provisions are predicated on the political process happening in a certain manner, when history shows that the political process happens in a manner unlike that presumed by the framers, it is appropriate to amend the Constitution to correct the error.

The departure from the loser of the presidential election attaining the vice presidency; direct election of Senators: these were based on realizations that the rationales underlying the respective parts of the Constitutions were faulty.

2. TJ says:

Brian, one piece missing in your analysis (and, I submit, a big piece) is that when the Framers were debating this they did not have in mind a president who would be term-limited, the 22nd amendment being a century away, and even the Washington tradition having not yet been established. Thus, in their world, a president would almost always have the next election to look forward to, absent ill-health or some other reason to retire.

3. Orin Kerr says:

But wouldn’t there always be a window after the election returns were counted (and the incumbent was declared the loser) when the incumbent would not have the next election to but would have the pardon power?

4. Anon21 says:

A fair point, but it’s not clear how long the Framers would have expected that window to be, in practice. After all, they contemplated no popular election for President, and given that they vested the power to determine the timing of the Presidential election to Congress and did not specify its relation to the end of a President’s term, it’s certainly conceivable that Congress could have mandated that an election be held very close to the time that the President’s term was to expire. Indeed, our political system is somewhat anomalous in terms of the length that a lame duck stays in office–even after the reduction effected by the 20th Amendment, it’s still a period of two and a half months, whereas in parliamentary democracies, seldom more than a few weeks pass between an election that turns the incumbent government out of power and the handover of power to the new government. Nothing in the unamended Constitution mandates or suggests the length of lame duck time that was eventually established.

5. Brian Kalt says:

I think Orin’s response to TJ is right. Unless the Framers expected every president to rule for life (which, I submit, they did not), their design necessarily contemplated a lame-duck period.

Anon21, I disagree. Check out the unamended version of Article II. Provision one is for a fixed, four-year term. Next comes a provision for a geographically dispersed presidential election, on a single day prescribed by Congress. Then there is a wait for the votes to be counted and, if nobody wins, a new vote in Congress. And in the background is that four-year fixed term, clock a-tickin’. I think it is fair to say that they contemplated some cushion in there between Electoral College Day and Inauguration Day, or at least designed a system in which a long such period was an obvious consequence.

The lame-duck period came early, caused problems right away (see, e.g., Marbury v. Madison), and yet remained.

In any case, as I hope to discuss more at some point this month, none of this changes the susceptability of the president to impeachment and/or prosecution for inappropriate/corrupt pardons. None of it changes the fact that like so many other things in the Constitution (like the power to pass legislation) the primary check is not something hard-wired into the Constitution, but rather is simply reliance on the political process.

6. Andrew says:

I guess I take issue with the last part of your post. I fail to see how this provision isn’t “structural.” Even your own analogy to the Appointments Clause shows how the Constitution does, in fact, “get specific” when the political process cannot provide an effective check on the use of power. Both the Incompatibility Clause and (as we have all recently learned) the Emoluments Clause provide quite specific exclusions on who may not serve as an Officer. In a nation of 300 million, Article I Section 6 singles out less than six hundred people for exclusion from office. Thus, the President has wide freedom to nominate officers, but there is an exclusion where the risk of self-dealing and bad faith is most present. Why can’t we do the same thing with the pardon power–limit it only from those cases where those risks pose the greatest danger?

I also wonder why you think that Nadler’s proposal is aimed at Bush? Even if this were adopted (and, as with all amendments, it almost certainly never will be), it could not possibly be enacted in time to prevent Bush from pardoning his subordinates. (Unless he’s proposed that the amendment have retroactive effect.)

7. TJ says:

Orin, yes, there was always going to be a lame duck period. But there is a significant difference between having four years of incentives to work diligently to get reelected and two months to pardon at the end if it doesn’t work out; and having four years of virtually no political accountability, with advanced knowledge that the end is coming, and then the ability to pardon all illegal conduct in the end.

Given the way the pardon power works now, I don’t understand why a president could not (and if the president can, why a president has not) completely disregard statute and Supreme Court orders for all four years of his second term and then pardon his entire administration on the way out. If the only limit is impeachment, then that is a receipe for four year dictatorships that are essentially above the law.

8. Brian Kalt says:

Andrew,

That’s a good point about the Emoluments Clause–the Constitution does indeed “get specific” in places, and when it does it is often to avoid self-dealing (a point I will raise when I write about self-pardons). (The Incompatibility Clause fits less well, I think, as it is mainly a separation of powers provision that doesn’t prevent the president from appointing anyone.)

I think your analogy doesn’t quite work, though. Because the check on presidential appointments is Senate confirmation, there is a risk of Senate collusion in some self-dealing. The Emoluments Clause ties the Senate’s hands (or doesn’t, if the Saxbe fix is constitutional) and fills the loophole in the structure. By contrast, extreme abuse of the pardon power is policed through political accountability, impeachment, and prosecution. Nadler’s anti-self-dealing proposal doesn’t fill any loopholes there. He doesn’t confront the purported flaw in the structure–that Congress has been over-reluctant to use its impeachment power much since the early 1800s.

The other part of Nadler’s proposal, limiting the pardon power at the end of the term, when the political accountability portion of the check is almost completely gone, is a better analogy: it directly addresses an inherent flaw in the check structure. And indeed, I think that it’s not a bad idea (though rather than ban such pardons outright, I would make them subject to override by some sort of congressional supermajority between 1/3 and 1/20). My objection to that part of his proposal is more that it will never actually get passed, unless maybe something crazy happens, like Bush pardoning himself or his whole administration. Nadler knows this, of course–his proposal is about political posturing. As I hope my post made clear, though, that’s just fine. Politics are supposed to be part of the process. But the amendment ain’t going anywhere.

While I’m here, TJ, I think that your point speaks more to the weakness of the impeachment process than to the weakness of the pardon provisions. Isn’t the biggest problem in your hypothetical the four years of lawlessness, not the pardons at the end? You also assume away the rest of the check, which is the ability to impeach and/or prosecute the ex-president for the pardons. I’ll be writing more about “late” impeachment in a couple of weeks.

9. Bruce Boyden says:

Presidents are also accountable to Congress, and to the criminal law.

Re: criminal law, that’s true only if the President cannot pardon himself. It would be helpful if someone had written a student note on that topic…

10. Brian Kalt says:

Funny you mentioned that, Bruce. After all these years, I finally posted my note on whether the president can pardon himself to SSRN.

There are some important differences between the note and what I am writing about self-pardons now for my book, though.