A Talk About Heller at ‘Bama

1. Miriam Cherry says:

Food: Jim & Nick’s BBQ in Five Points in Birmingham (yum!), for lunch, you can’t beat O’Carrs in downtown Homewood (although, like most things in Ala, closed on Sunday).

Stuff to do: CRI, visit the Vulcan statue and get a view of the city, drive around in moutain view and admire the houses, if you like shopping go to downtown Homewood (including little professor bookstore).

2. Bert Jordan says:

Go see the Westervelt-Warner Museum of American Art in Northport. Its exceptional. Just across the Warrior River from Tuscaloosa.

3. Daniel says:

I would love to help, but apparently these are not the things you learn during the first week of law school. I look forward to hearing you speak.

I have heard that Dreamland BBQ is to die for.

4. You should also listen to Drive-By Truckers for the duration of your stay.

5. john tanner says:

I agree that while in Tuscaloosa you definitely should visit the Westervelt-Warner Museum, which is at once idiosyncratic and very fine. You also should dine at Dreamland (the original on Jughouse Road in Tuscaloosa) which I believe is more of a cultural experience than Jim and Nick’s. (Archibald’s in Northport is even more of a cultural experience, but they don’t sell beer or banana pudding.) Since the presentation is on Heller, you may want to stop by the gun department at Woods and Water.

In Birmingham, go to the Highland Grill for dinner.

6. Paul Horwitz says:

My friend John is right as usual: Dreamland it is, although strictly speaking Archibald’s is probably better. Look me up if you get a chance, although I have multiple doctors’ appointments tomorrow and may be more inaccessible than I would have liked. Enjoy your visit!

7. Frank says:

Great illustration–what’s that bird?

8. Mike O'Shea says:

It’s the yellowhammer — Alabama’s state bird.