Is Interdisciplinary Legal Study a Luxury?

1. Bruce Boyden says:

I somewhat disagree. This whole discussion should be about tradeoffs. Sure, it’s conceivable that knowledge of some other subject matter may be relevant to a particular practice. But I think the importance of such knowledge is dwarfed by the importance of the type of legal knowledge you can only get (or begin getting) in law school: how to read a case or a statute, how to criticize one, how to make an argument persuasive to other lawyers, how to write a brief or a memo, how to draft a contract, how to make sense of conflicting or gap-ridden statements of rules and state what the law “is,” or rather what it will be tomorrow, or to this judge in this case. I spend at least 90% of my time in all of my classes teaching that sort of stuff.

There are some areas of the law where some knowledge gleaned from another discipline would be helpful. Economics is helpful in Patents and Antitrust and Contracts. Statistics is useful in Employment Discrimination. History might be helpful in Constitutional Law. Philosophy — particularly logic — is useful in Statutory Interpretation. But it’s at best icing on the cake, compared to the things I listed above.

None of this directly indicates who a law school should *hire*. Even if classes are mostly non-interdisciplinary, schools may want to hire professors who *write* such stuff, because that’s where the prestige is right now, and increased prestige benefits the school and the students in the long run. But that’s another trade-off. Interdisciplinary professors likely spend less time in practice learning the skills I noted above, and are (ceteris paribus) less likely to know how to teach those skills themselves. So the increased prestige may come at a price, namely, that students will learn less of the stuff that directly pays off in practice.

2. l. K. Richard says:

An important vantage point to consider, as well, is what the potential lawyers want to learn. Sure, in degrees this argument can be narrowed to a discussion of trade-offs, it can also be said that every lawyer should have a greater interdisciplinary knowledge to wisely weigh policy decisions. However, lawyers in general should be learning any extra-disciplines outside of a school’s track program.

After a certain point (namely, once a person has completed general education degree qualifications) a person has the option to put a great deal of time and effort into law school, arguably with the preeminent interest of becoming a professional–but how many jobs are out there for professional generalists? Not many; arguably the most useful place society has for more than a handful of generalists, is as informed consumers and citizens. The price put on that valuable occupation is one which should be gladly shouldered by the public, rather than as an individual person’s tuition payments, and treated as an investment in the public interest.

What this debate needs to focus on is the fact that a group of 50 lawyers does not necessarily correlate to 50 environmentalist trial lawyers; there are subdivisions upon subdivisions of law and each has its own likely internal standard for interdisciplinary education/knowledge. That is what determines the differences between a circuit judge and an antitrust scribe.

3. Stuart Buck says:

But are they better lawyers for having read and reflected upon great works in the humanities, for having some background in a variety of different fields of study and their applicability to law? I’d venture to say yes.

Isn’t that what undergraduate degrees are for? What reason is there to think that law schools — as professional training schools — are going to have any comparative advantage in teaching law students about the “humanities” rather than about law?

4. Stuart Buck says:

5. A.J. Sutter says:

I strongly agree about the importance of interdisciplinarity both to law practice and life, but I disagree that this should come from law school. I don’t think the “that’s what undergraduate degrees are for” idea is adequate, either.

I’ve been practicing corporate/M&A and IP transactions for 25 years at big law firms, solo, and in-house. Nothing in my legal career after law school has been benefited by, say, law and economics, critical legal studies, law and literature studies, or their ilk. (Admittedly, CLE did benefit my law school career: thanks to mimicking the paradoxical style of Roberto Unger’s 1983 Harvard L. Rev. article, I could BS my way to an A in my useless “law and sociology” course. I discovered Unger’s article when it came out a few days before the exam; I knew that the august and elderly prof was too stuck in his ways to have read it himself.)

Pace Bruce Boyden and perhaps others on this blog, textbook economics is utterly useless for most real-life patent practice. During the last 15 years or so I’ve been focusing on patent-related transactions quite intensively, including in-house (not counting a brief mid-career spell of part-time prosecution). What does help is knowing some basic principles of psychology, rhetoric and business management, to say nothing of knowing about engineers’ culture. I expect BB is thinking about the use of econ-based arguments in patent litigation. Neoclassical economics – demand curves, equilibrium and such – rests on extremely shaky foundations, which I have never seen examined critically in L&E; whether such pseudo-science belongs in court arguments can be contested. But aside from that, only a few patents are litigated, while applications have to be drafted and prepared for *all* of them – and usually by different lawyers from the litigators, for conflict reasons. L&E doesn’t offer anything of relevant about that; the practical issues are almost always industry- and competitor-specific.

Kahneman and Tversky might be useful for many lawyers to study while young, but most of what they say won’t be news (for practical purposes) if you’ve had some experience dealing with people. E.g., right after college I worked in a small New England bookstore that had been unionized; our union rep came out of a meeting with the owners, saying, “Jeez, they’re throwing around nickels like they was sewer covers in there.” Behavioral econ in a nutshell.

Aside from being open to and interested in people, so far these have been the most useful interdisciplinary topics for my law practice: (a) reading knowledge of Italian, German and (once upon a time) Latin and Greek; (b) various topics in math, such as Lie groups and metric spaces; and (c) physics and biochemistry. Categories (a) and (c) helped me to get various jobs and attract interesting clients, while (b) helps me to keep my mind crisp, and also figured by chance in a career-changing event. None of these are taught in law school, and probably few people would have exactly the same list. It’s a totally individual assortment of stuff, as it should be.

It’s good for law students to hear their profs mention Shakespeare or Kafka or Buber or the SU(2) symmetry group, or whatever, but that doesn’t mean it’s beneficial to study how to *apply* those other fields to law. (In fact, that strikes me as a very stultifying approach to those disciplines.) Rather than contriving law-and-humanities or law-and-econ courses, better to set an example by showing students the importance of continuing to read widely during professional school and especially after they graduate. The greatest benefits will follow if students and lawyers maintain their natural interests throughout their careers. At a minimum, they’ll have interesting and stimulating recreation, and won’t be as burned-out; and in the best cases, they’ll be able to combine their work with something they enjoy.

6. A.J. Sutter says:

PS: please forgive my Freudian slip, I have a state bar compliance deadline looming: rather than “CLE” I meant, of course, “CLS”.

7. John says:

The idea that interdisciplinary knowledge is necessary to a law school education also seems to further embed the notion that only top-5 law school graduates are appropriate for professorial positions. If, as seems to be the case, interdisciplinary studies are focused on far more by top-tier law schools than by lower-ranked schools, then one can surmise that most law school graduates (and professorial prospects) who have interdisciplinary experience will have graduated from these “elite” institutions. And as the idea that “lower-tier” law schools should be teaching this sort of stuff becomes more embedded (as some posters here would have it), than only individuals with interdisciplinary qualifications will be qualified to teach at these schools.

While I’m sure I will get a ton of heat for this, this seems like a convenient way to perpetuate the death-grip the elite law schools have on the law school professoriate. As it becomes increasingly clear to practitioners (of which I am one) that law school rank or prestige has little to do with ability as a practicing lawyer (in most cases), it should, in my opinion, become increasingly clear that the same probably holds true for law teaching. But this would be bad for keeping the hold these schools currently have on the professoriate. It just seems a little too cozy for me – 1) elite law schools teach interdisciplinary studies; 2) lower ranked law schools should as well, 3) only those who went to elite law schools have the credentials for teaching those classes, so 4) only teaching candidates who went to elite law schools are qualified to teach at lower ranked law schools.

8. George says:

“At the end of the day, nothing can truly prepare you for the practice of law except actually doing it. There’s a certain wisdom that comes from experience that seasoned practitioners have and that I don’t think can readily be taught in school.”

If that’s the case, and the above statement is true, what do I need you professors for?

I am a law student, in my last semester. I have spent four years and around $140K for a “legal education” that in large part, according to you, I can’t do anything with and has prepared me for…nothing. I thank you for your honesty, I have always felt that what I was learning, if anything, had pitiful little to do with what attorney’s did out in the real world.

It reinforces a previous post here about law school’s only real purpose being the sorting of students with the top 25% receiving the lion’s share of employment opportunities driven through law review, OCI and the like, while the rest are cut lose to survive on their own.

Professor’s, given the above is true, that whatever “it” is I am supposed to learn from you can’t “readily be taught in school”, I wonder, do you ever feel any guilt when you cash that paycheck at the end of the day?

9. Bruce Boyden says:

George, I think the weasel word in the sentences you quote is “truly.” Dan said that one is not “truly” prepared for practice until after you’ve done it for a while. I would agree that there are certain things that are at least very difficult to learn from reading cases. In fact, that’s why I’m having my civil procedure class actually go about the initial stages of litigating a hypothetical case. Law school could certainly include more practical exercises of that sort. But I’m not sure when if ever one is “truly” prepared for practice. I’m not sure I was “truly” prepared for it, even after doing it for 8 years.

So whether Dan’s argument means that law school is useless without practical exercises depends on how much weight he puts on the word “truly.” Dan, is that what you meant? Someone could skip law school and study liberal arts for 3 years and be just as well prepared for practice? I doubt that’s what Dan means, exactly, but he does seem to be saying that learning doctrine and such is relatively unimportant. Again, to the extent that’s the argument in the post, I disagree.

10. Bruce,

Of course, law schools can help get students ready for practice, and what they do certainly helps students in practice. But a lot of practice skills depend upon experience doing them. I don’t think law school can replace learning on the job — just like learning in medical school can’t replace the learning that occurs during residency and beyond.

I do think that learning doctrine isn’t that important. For example, in my criminal law class, the specific rules I teach are less important than understanding the basic concepts and being able to interpret and apply statutes. So I tell students that wherever they practice, they’ll be dealing with a specific criminal code, and that might be different from what they study in the class. That they remember the elements to a particular crime is less important to me than their ability to understand any criminal statute they might encounter and to be able to work with it. So on the exam, I typically give them statutes they have never seen before involving crimes they haven’t encountered before. The way I aim to prepare them is for them to be able to understand and interpret these statutes. And judging from the exams, they are able to do this.

So I tell students that in 5-10 years, I could care less whether they remember the elements of murder, or whether they could recite the elements of burglary, and so on. What I care about is that they can read any statute and know the ways that they can interpret it, the ways they can apply it to the facts, the potential ambiguities and how to argue about them, etc.

11. A.J. Sutter says:

What about in fields that aren’t based only on statutory interpretation, or where interpretation and “doctrine” are intertwined? E.g. many tort and contract principles aren’t based in statute; if negiligence, res ipsa loquitur, reliance and quantum meruit aren’t “doctrine”, what would you call them? How about Constitutional law — sure it’s based on interpretation of a text (though the degree to which it is so is contested), but how do you separate out “doctrine” from interpretative technique in that context? In these fields, simply requiring students to remember analytical techniques without knowing about substantive principles (or the varieties of interpretative doctrine, in the case of Con law) won’t leave them adequately prepared.

Not to say that analytic tools aren’t helpful. Once I started practice I felt that the most useful course I’d taken was comparative law. It allowed me to look at even US laws from a different angle from that of many of my colleagues, and was a good stimulus to imaginative solutions. Apropos of the original theme of this thread, in school I’d enjoyed it because it had many of the elements of a humanities class; it also helped that the prof, the late Rudolf Schlesinger, was brilliant. But in retrospect, it was very much about law per se, not “law and …”.

12. A.J. Sutter says:

To George: Lighten up, then pass the bar. Then you will find that law school has given you a credential, at minimum. Second, it will have given you a basic foundation of knowledge that you will need in order to practice, even if the texture of day-to-day practice is nothing like what you did in school. (I’m assuming you haven’t spent your time in school taking interdisciplinary courses; if you have, you might get your basic foundation from your bar review course, which you’ll need to have gone to law school to take ;-). So in either case, you’ll have some preparation as a result of law school.) When I went to law school there wasn’t any course that prepared one for transactional (non-litigation) practice, but the vocabulary and concepts still were handy. And if you decide to get involved in business instead of law practice, you’ll find that your law school background will have given you a helpful tool.

13. J.S. Wright says:

I am currently in my first year of law school and, as a student, I can honestly say that I would not want to attend a law school that did not value an interdisciplinary approach to the study of law. Law does not exist in a vacuum and neither do lawyers.

I am fortunate enough to be attending a school that affords us 1Ls the opportunity to choose an elective in our second semester and I chose to take a legal history course rather than yet another “practical” course. Not only is the course itself interesting and informative, but it has made me view the material presented in my standard 1L classes in an entirely different light. Whether it will change what I do in practice after graduation….well, I would suppose not. However, it is making me think more about the context within which the law is formed and within which it functions.

I know many people attend law school with the simple aim of becoming lawyers, but there are many of us who desire more. I, for example, see law school as not only a path to future employment, but also as an opportunity to continue my education.

14. J.S. Wright says:

I am currently in my first year of law school. As a student, I can honestly say that I would never want to attend a law school that does not value an interdisciplinary approach to law. The reality is that law does not exist independently of the rest of the world and neither do lawyers.

I am fortunate enough to be at a school that allows 1Ls to take an elective in our first year. I chose to take a legal history course instead of another “practical” course (assuming the standard 1L curriculum can be described as such). This course has not only been informative and interesting but it has given me a different perspective on the material being presented in my other classes. I suppose it probably will not be determinative of my abilities as a future lawyer but I still think the experience is an invaluable one.

Some people go to school simply to become lawyers, and that is fine. However, there are many of us that are looking for more. When I was looking at law schools, one of the things I considered was the type of courses offered. I did not want to attend a school that focused on law (and specifically the U.S. legal system) to the exclusion of all else. I was looking to supplement the standard courses we should all take with courses that would look at the role of law and legal institutions, how law interacts with society, and how the American legal system compares to other legal systems. I am not simply here to brief cases and outline (although I do spend most of my time doing that); I came to law school to learn about law more generally and to continue learning about the world.