Best Music To Get You Motivated To Grade?

Dave Hoffman

1. Egg Nog says:

It would seem that the lyric “If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don’t know” may be particularly germane to a prof while grading, no?

2. Belle Lettre says:

The video is no longer available. What was the song?

3. dave says:

Works for me still. It is Kansas: Carry on My Wayward Son.

4. FinalsAreOver4Me says:

Charles Fried’s most recent conlaw exam had a policy question about music and the first amendment. I wonder if he’ll be listening to this while he’s grading.

5. Belle Lettre says:

Ah, now it works. It must have been temporarily down or something. Lord, you are old school.

I would have chosen “Live and Let Die,” myself.

Or some freedom rock.

6. Joseph Slater says:

At the end of the spring term, I sometimes play Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out.”

And Belle Lettre, fun link, but I’m intrigued by the description “guitar-heavy American rock music,” being applied to a bunch of songs by artists many of whom aren’t Americans.

Now playing: “In Your Eyes” (live version) — Peter Gabriel.

7. Law Student says:

I love how much law professors complain about grading, you teach for 6 hours a week and make several hundred thousand dollars a year, get over it! And while you are at it, concentrate more on the grading and less on the music.

8. Joseph Slater says:

Law profs make “several hundred thousand dollars a year”? I should be listening to “Everyone’s Making it Big But Me,” by Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show.

Seriously, Law Student, law profs do know that they have good jobs (albeit not quite as well paid as you say), and we also know that grading exams isn’t as bad as taking them. But grading really is no fun, and if some music in the background brightens the mood for some profs, why not?

9. Law Student says:

Yeah, I was still suffering through my post-exams hangover when I wrote that, I apologize for the tone. But I would like any professor to answer this question honestly: do you guys think law exams are a “fair” metric? This is not a bitter tirade, I have strong grades, but I know plenty of people who I think are over/under rated, some by large margins. If I am right it’s a pretty big disservice to the profession given how strongly firms rely on grades in the hiring process. I guess the better question is, is there a better way and what would that look like.