An Interview with Pat Rothfuss

Dave Hoffman

1. Katie says:

Neat interview, thanks. I’ll be picking up The Name of the Wind for sure (although I do always worry a bit about starting yet-to-be-completed trilogies).

2. Monika says:

I like this interview very much! Perhaps I am going to read this book if I have the time. I come from Austria/Europe, I’ve studied law and I work at the University in the Department of Public Law, so I am especially interested in this kind of books, authors and interviews. So now I’ve got the proof: There IS a link between fantasy and law! (I am a big fantasy fan.)

Greetings,

Monika

3. TK42ONE says:

This was one of the best interviews I’ve read from Pat. It’s such a different aspect of the book, that I never really thought about it. As I’m re-reading it, I’ll certainly be giving the legal side of things more thought.

4. Paul says:

Dave Hoffman, you fantasy nerd! High five! Excellent interview. Oh, and Rothfuss seems awesome. I will be reading his book shortly.

5. Xian says:

For books that combine mystery, good historical research and legal history in one fascinating package, try CJ Sansom’s “Dissolution” and “Dark Fire”. On the surface these are very well-researched historical mystery novels set in Tudor England during the late reign of Henry VIII. Deeper than that, though, they are explorations of law, religion, morality and social structure.

The preceding may sound like bitter medicine, but trust me, the books aren’t. They’re well-written, fast-paced and exciting.

And for anyone with a legal background or an interest in the subject, there’s nothing like a bracing dose of an old legal system to make you appreciate the one we have now (in the democratic world at least).

I’ve ordered Mr. Rothfuss’ first book, as well!

6. Jacob says:

Can you post the extended section on liquidated damages clauses?