The World’s Most Expensive Dessert and How to Get into the Guinness Book of World Records

1. Belle Lettre says:

This may be a stupid question, but what is the point of edible gold other than the wow factor?

It is likely tasteless in effect. And doesn’t it just pass through the body like most other metal minerals? (I am unclear on this, help me out science people.) So really—what’s the point of the consumption other than “wow, I just masticated, digested, and fully expect to expel $15,000 worth of gold.

Also: on the West Coast, where I was raised, Edy’s ice cream = Dreyer’s ice cream. The original factory is in California. It is good ice cream, but I won’t pay your premium for it.

2. Bruce Boyden says:

“wow, I just masticated, digested, and fully expect to expel $15,000 worth of gold.”

Suddenly placer mining seems much less placer.

3. Frank says:

Totally fits in with Robert Frank’s book “Richistan”….inequality is so extreme that people at the top are desperate for ways to throw away money. Bring back the potlatch!

4. Well, Frank, I sure hope we have some wealthy readers of Concurring Opinions interested in trying my $50,000 dessert. Donald Trump, are you reading? My sundae only costs $50,000. . . .

5. Belle Lettre says:

I think this debate surfaces every few years, when Victoria’s Secret relases ever more expensive custom bras. First it was the $1 million bra encrusted with diamonds! I think the last time I read something about it, they had gone to the $10 million dollar bra or something.

When I had TV, I think VH1 had a 2000s version of “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” in which they chronicled the excess consumption of celebrities and royalty. I think I watched an episode in which they said some Saudi princesses bought such things, so perhaps there is a market for them.

6. Patrick S. O'Donnell says:

The Seven Deadly Sins are alive and flourishing!

7. Patrick S. O'Donnell says:

The Seven Deadly Sins are alive and flourishing!

8. Adam Kolber says:

Perhaps they have some requirement that the world record price at least roughly reflect a legitimate market price. That would exclude Dan’s $50,000 scoop of Edy’s ice cream.

The problem is, Serendipity is really selling diamonds with some ice cream accents. So why not get the record by selling $5 worth of ice cream along with a half million dollar home? I suggest that the home be constructed entirely of gingerbread.

9. Adam, you are absolutely right. The high value of the dessert has little to do with its culinary quality. (So, I suspect. I’ll never know for sure.) But then this is but an extreme example of many offerings in the high-end restaurants.

Drawing a closer analogy, this reminds me of THE FRESHMAN (1990) with Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando, where they sold tickets to eat endangered species, which held no promise of tasting any better than chicken.

10. Sam B. says:

For what it’s worth, in spite of being a popular tourist place, Serendipity 3′s desserts are, imho, not terribly good. They’re big–you get a ton of ice cream–but it’s normal ice cream. You pretty much pay to wait in an hour-and-a-half line, then deal with rude waiters. I can make you wait, provide a bunch of supermarket ice cream, and insult you for a lot less (or a lot more, if I’m trying to set a record).

11. Belle Lettre says:

I agree with Sam B.! Actually I think it doesn’t taste as good as Dreyer’s/Ed’s (esp. the ‘Homemade’ style). They use cocoa powder in their frozen hot chocolate, which tastes, imho, entirely too chalky.

12. Bruce Boyden says:

I assume you are all laughing on the inside at my “placer” joke.

13. Belle Lettre says:

Yes, on the inside, so hard it’s silent laughter.

It did take me a while to get ’round saying, like a gringa, “place-er” rather than “plass-er” and realize what you were saying. Then I went, “ha.”

14. Kaimi says:

Dan,

The real question is, does your record-breaking sundae come with mice? Because apparently, Serendipity’s does. (See http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/if-you-give-a-mouse-a-25000-frrozen-haute-chocolate/ ).

Maybe that’s why they needed the money — to hire a new exterminator?

15. Kaimi — These aren’t just any ordinary mice. They have gold fur and are dipped in chocolate. They sell for $1000 a piece.