Harry Potter and the Due Process Clause

1. Joe Miller says:

Yes … JK Rowling as the Vindicator of Lon Fuller.

2. Catherine says:

Interesting to hear you use the word “satisfying.” The same word that I, and so many others, are using.

I just posted my own reveiw…I’d love to hear what you think!

3. susan franck says:

Another way to think about this is through the lends of administrative law. Think about Delores Umbridge, a Ministry official, who (as the movie clearly showed) was quite happy to break internal agency rules and resort to the Crucio! curse when it suited her purpose of exactracting information. Perhaps the muggle-based Adminsitrative Procedures Act might have a Ministry counterpart so that Umbridge would have been guilty of regulatory conduct that was (in the words of Jim Chen) ACAD – arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion.

4. For the full treatment, see my colleague’s piece: Ben Barton, Harry Potter and the Half-Crazed Bureaucracy, 104 Mich. L.R. 1523 (2006) (reviewing HP and the Half-Blood Prince).

5. Christine Corcos says:

Those of us in the law and humanities field have been tracking Harry Potter scholarship for a while. I try to keep up with Harry Potter material both at the Law and Humanities Blog (look under the index term “Harry Potter”) and at the Law and Magic Blog (also under the term “Harry Potter”). The August 23 issue of Legal Times also had an article by Andrew Fois called “Due Process for All Wizards”: here’s the lead. “Harry Potter’s story shows our world — especially our children — what can happen when government power goes unchecked by law.”

6. SERJ says:

it’s great…when do you show the alst Harry Potter in theather /movie??

7. SERJ says:

it’s great…when do you show the alst Harry Potter in theather /movie??