Slimy SEO’s invade the Blawgosphere (Part II), plus questions about publicity, property, and Locke

1. Eric Goldman says:

Store A runs an ice cream shop at 123 Main Street, then moves to 321 Green Street. Store B opens new ice cream shop at 123 Main Street. Assume no TM confusion. Parasitic? Eric.

2. KipEsquire says:

Why would anyone “abandon” a free site? Not only have I kept my blogspot address for the almost two years since I moved my blog, but I also repost my “new blog address” post every few weeks to keep Blogger from deactivating it. It takes all of 45 seconds once a month.

I see little relevance in Lockean property rights theory to this fact pattern, except to the extent that it does or does not consider abandoned property fair game to the entrepreneurial (I would argue that it does).

3. Bruce Boyden says:

Ditto what Eric said.

4. Kaimi Wenger says:

Eric,

If it’s on Main Street, probably not.

Counter-hypothetical: Will Baude opens an ice cream shop in the middle of the barren desert. After four years of selling ice cream, he has a steady clientele of regulars, and has built up a road to the shop. No normal city traffic; only the traffic due to Will’s work.

He gets behind by $20 on property taxes, and some enterprising fellow snatches up the property at a tax auction.

Parasitic?

5. Chris says:

Same facts as above, except the jurisdiction allows for a defaulting taxpayer in this situation (for whatever reason) to repay his taxes (with penalties, interest, etc.) and reclaim his property (within some reasonable period of time) for what the bidder originally paid for it.

Bad incentives?

6. William Baude says:

Same facts as above, only the government 1, allows one to set up an automatic bank transfer to pay the deposit, and 2, fails to notify the property-owner if something goes wrong with the transfer (until after the repurchase-period).

Same result?

7. William Baude says:

Same result?

8. Fred says:

All this talk of ‘hijacking’ or domains being snatched away without consent is utter nonsense.

Will at Crescat will have received several emails as his domain registration was about to expire and he chose not to act upon them. Registering a domain does not mean it is yours for life, but for the period for which you paid to register it for.

After being given several months, weeks and then days notice that your ownership of the domain is about to expire, it is your own fault if you don’t renew and allow someone else to register the domain for themselves.

9. William Baude says:

I agree that “hijacking” is the wrong word to use. But, for what little it may be worth, I actually received zero emails about the registration problems.

10. There are many domains I would love to have, mainly names of family members. Would it be sleazy for me to snap them up when they become available? I don’t think so. How about variations of my company names that I didn’t have the foresight to register? No problem there I think either. If I don’t renew my domains would I be upset if someone grabbed them? Of course! But I wouldn’t be blaming anyone but myself.

If you didn’t receive any notifications that probably points to bad email address in your registration (your fault) or bad registrar.

11. Rimi says:

We specialize delivering expert search engine marketing and customized social media solution. SEO Greeks are able to setup a tailored social media strategy that can help you engage with your customers on a personal level while increasing your site traffic and sales revenue through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and many more. Read more: http://seogeeks.co.uk/