Lateral Moves by Law School Faculty 2006

1. I don’t know why Brian Leiter thinks “Feminist Theory” should be listed as one of my primary subjects. I should think “Property Theory” would be a lot more accurate. Also, I have been teaching Contracts for 6 years now, and I have written a certain amount about it!

MJR

2. KipEsquire says:

Mark Tushnet transferred from Harvard to Harvard?

3. Brian Leiter says:

I guess because you’ve written some famous papers related to feminist theory, but I’ll certainly defer to your judgment about what you do!

4. Racer X says:

From Loyola LA to UC Davis:

Lisa Ikemoto

5. Nick says:

Philip Hamburger also moved from Chicago to Columbia.

6. Brian says:

Claire A. Hill (business organizations, behavioral law & economics) has moved from Chicago-Kent to Minnesota

7. FacultyGopher says:

I’m a faculty assistant at a law school. Thanks for the list. Now I know that I’m going to have some new faces to learn, and new ways that professors like their documents formatted and their coffee prepared. ;)

8. Lolita Buckner Inniss says:

From Cleveland-Marshall to Widener

Linda Ammons (will become dean)

9. Ann Bartow says:

My colleagues Marie Reilly (Bankruptcy, Contracts, Commercial Law) and John Lopatka (Antitrust, Torts) are, unfortunately, leaving South Carolina for Penn State.

10. ashley giles says:

haha a law professor called robert lawless.

11. Florida Bankruptcy Lawyer

People who are passionate about Florida bankruptcy lawyer can meet online andWith the current economic downtown and the demise of many …

12. Arizona Criminal Attorney

Zacarias Moussaoui fights for his lifethe Coffee County sheriff on charges of criminal trespassing when the van they …

13. Anon says:

I believe Jeff Kahn (Tax) is leaving Santa Clara for Penn State-Dickinson.

14. Anon says:

I believe Eric Talley and Gillian Lester left USC and UCLA, respectively, for Berkeley.

15. ANNON says:

Daria Roithmayr is leaving Ill for USC

16. gvibes says:

Great, Michigan finally beefs up their IP presense, but only after I left. Bummer.

17. Anon says:

Brian Leiter has reported that Cary Coglianese is moving to Penn from the Kennedy School. Also, I understand Bruce Mann has accepted the position at Harvard.

18. Adam says:

Actually, I don’t think Talley and Lester have formally decamped for Boalt yet.

19. anon says:

Andrew Martin, of the political science department of Wash. U. (St. Louis) is joining the law school faculty, as director of a new Law & Politics institute.

20. EN says:

Yes, Bruce Mann is off to Harvard. Penn students mourn the loss.

21. Law Student '06 says:

Columbia University has also hired Suzanne Goldberg from Rutgers Law School. She will direct a new clinic on gender and sexuality.

While they are not lateral moves, Columbia hired Olati Johnson as a new professor, along with C. Scott Hempill (Stanford Law graduate, Posner/Scalia clerk, Ph.D. candidate in economics from Stanford as well).

22. Lateral Moves by Minority Law Profs – 2006

Dan Filler over at Concurring Opinions posted a complete list of lateral moves by law faculty this year. Below I reproduce the portions of Professor Filler’s list that include people who are in the AALS Minority Law Teachers directory. California…

23. Etaoin Shrdlu says:

Keith Aoki, from University of Oregon to UC Davis.

24. SC Prof says:

South Carolina hires Susan Kuo (criminal law, section 1983) from Northern Illinois and Jack Pratt (legal history) from Notre Dame (will serve a Dean).

25. ellen dannin says:

Jeff Kahn is definitely moving to Penn State Dickinson from Santa Clara.

26. BB says:

Carol Rose should definitely be identified as Property as well as Environmental Law.

27. shamu says:

notable that 6 profs left tulane, w/o replacement

28. Captain Obvious says:

But…um, isn’t this exactly the typical criticism of a male speaker that a feminist theorist who also specializes in property rights would make?

29. LM says:

Interesting, the number of professors specializing in Law & Economics. Is this a recent trend? In any case, it looks like the interdisciplinary approach is being embraced by a fair number of schools.

Another noteworthy trend: the number of females hired to become law school deans.

30. Matt says:

Joshua Cohen (political philosophy) moved from MIT’s departments of philosoph and political science to the law school (and philosophy and political science) at Stanford starting in 2006. Cary Coglianese (admin law) has moved from the Kennedy School at Harvard to Penn Law starting 2006.

31. Anon says:

Ed Swaine moved from Penn-Wharton to GW.

32. Jack S. says:

Prof. Collins might be moving to UVA, but he’s physically still at Tulane for the moment.

33. Bill says:

Rosa Ehrenreich Brooks

Virginia –> Georgetown (visitor in 05-06; permanent starting 06-07)