More New Courthouse Architecture

1. The Long Island courthouse looks like 3-Mile Island with Buzz Lightyear wings. That’s my first impression.

2. Simon says:

Personally, I think the new ones are absolutely ghastly. Do we just not have the know-how to build attractive stuff any more (as all the examples of “old” courthouses were), or simply lack the will to stand up to an artist and say “I wanted a courthouse, not an abstract painting?” See also the hideous new Scottish Parliament.

3. Dan says:

I love the new courthouse here in Lafayette, but we do make the occasional joke about “empty-headed” justice, shown well in the picture.

4. BTD Venkat says:

I’m a huge fan of the new architecture. It does lose a little personality, but I tend to like the concrete/glass/steel architecture. More importantly the buildings have awesome amenities, screens, internet connections, etc.

That second picture of the Denver courthouse on the right looks an awful lot like Seattle. I guess they should do something to infuse the buildings with personality or history.

5. JC says:

When I was a clerk in the Eastern District of New York, in the main (Brooklyn) courthouse, the poor functionality of the Islip courthouse was already legendary among the court staff (this was a year or so after it opened). Brent Staples had a nice piece in Slate about it at: http://www.slate.com/id/97682/

6. Monument Law

Ah, public monuments. They’re how we remember important events and help define who we think we are. Dan Solove’s recent posts on courthouses reminds me of how much we’re concerned with presenting the right image to communities. And there’s…

7. John Riley says:

I am in search of new courthouses, preferrably county and local levels of a slightly smaller scale that would speak to the fact that architects can design new courthouse structures with the same sense of permanance as their historic peers. The Lafayette example is representative of this, as is the courthouse in London, KY.

8. enrique saldivar puentes says:

I LIVE IN LOS BANOS CA IN MERCED COUNTY CALIFORNIA ONE HOUR FROM FED BUILD IN FRESNO CA ITHINK THAT BUILD IS SO AAWSOME MAKES FRESNO SKYLINE TOTALY STAND OUT FRESNO NEEDS TO GROW UP AND START BUILDING MORE SKY SCRAPES FOR A CITY WELL OVER HALF A MIL THEY STILL HAVE TO MANY OLD STRUCTURES WICH ARE RICH IN HISTORY BUT THIS IS 21 CENTURY NEEDS TO FOLLOW TREND OF OTHER BIG CITIES TO COMPETE.